In July 1934, three fields totalling 12 acres were purchased by five Plymouth business men and one woman, with a view to building The Moorland Links Hotel. The foundation stone was laid on 15th August and the hotel opened for business on 3rd May 1935.
Facilities at the 26-bedroom, luxury family hotel included a heated swimming pool, tennis courts and riding stables. A large ballroom with a sprung maple strip dance floor attracted guests in their hundreds to tea-dances and evening-dress balls, accompanied by Frank Fuge and his Moorland Links Orchestra. Famous guests in the hotel’s heyday included President Truman, Rex Harrison and David Niven.
Various changes have occurred over the years. The swimming pool was closed in in 1989 and another 14 rooms were added in 1994. Purchased by business entrepreneurs Brian and Sonia Meaden in 2011 and renamed, the Moorland Garden Hotel has undergone an extensive refurbishment programme to help return it to its former glory.
To celebrate its 80th anniversary year, the hotel has launched a packed calendar of special events for 2014. From a vintage May fete to a 1930s/40s Sparkles and Spitfires dinner dance, a host of themed events will help guests indulge in the nostalgia of a bygone era to mark the hotel’s founding decade.